Our Love Story (Part 5)



3 years today.  
We've been married three years.
And while there is much to tell from those years,
Much joy,
Much heartache,
I've yet to tell the story of our engagement...!
I figured today was a good day to reminisce :)

If you missed the first part of our story, it starts here: Our Love Story (Part 1)

I had spent January (of 2016) in Missouri,
And because of the complications that come with distance,
Short engagements,
And premarital counseling--
We both knew that the next time we saw each other
Carl would ask,
And I would say yes.

His next visit was planned for March...
Or so I thought!

It was the eve of my 24th birthday.
I was supposed to be at young adults,
But due to a snowstorm I ended up staying home.
Normally I would have talked with Carl on my way to young adults,
But this night he had told me he'd be working late.
Since I didn't go though,
I think I sent him a text to let him know.

It didn't go through.

Well that's odd, I thought,
And checked his location.

It didn't show.

At first I think I thought he was just down at the family farm,
But as the evening progressed and I still didn't hear anything,
Still couldn't see his location,
I grew more and more puzzled and suspicious.

And being the curious sort,
I couldn't just let it go!

Plus, we had planned to talk before I went to sleep.
So I lay in bed that night and watched my phone...
When I finally saw my text go through,
I checked his location.
Poor guy.

Carl was in the Philly airport!!
And then he called me.
I didn't have the heart to tell him I knew where he was.

He got off the phone thinking I was still in the dark.
And I worried about him driving to where he was staying
(Young adults had been cancelled due to a snowstorm after all!)

Needless to say,
Neither of us slept real great that night.

The next morning I was supposed to go to breakfast with Papa for my birthday.
I remember feeling nervous/excited that morning.
And trying to keep it hidden,
Because I didn't want to let on that I knew a surprise was coming.

Before Papa and I went out the door,
I slipped a letter in my purse.
One I had written the day I decided my answer would be yes.
Because I knew today was the day.
I just didn't know when my Prince charming was going to show up!

Papa and I arrived at Cracker Barrel and walked in the door,
Carl came out from behind a display and said,
"Hi Sweetheart"
Or something like that! ;)
And apparently I didn't do a good job of acting surprised.
(I don't think I really tried).

As we hugged, apparently he and Papa were trying to communicate over my shoulder,
How did I know?
The story came out,
But regardless of the spoiled surprise,
We embarked on a lovely day!

Breakfast with the two men in my life at a favorite restaurant,
And then back home briefly,
Before Carl and I headed off to Longwood Gardens in the snow.

We enjoyed some lovely orchids in the Conservatory,
And despite the chill,
Enjoyed being together and wandering around outside.

Only problem:
Carl wanted to get to a specific spot to pop the question,
And all the paths leading that way were blocked off due to the snow.
He tried over and over again to get me to get me to cross the barriers set up,
But I'm a rule follower,
What can I say?

So we meandered our way in a roundabout way that general direction,
Talking all the while.
(Probably "discussing" whether or not it really was okay to cross the barriers!)
We'd had a sweet date at Longwood once before,
And the place held good memories!

Finally, my dear man gave up on getting to the spot he'd originally intended,
But he did get me to cross one of the barriers,
 On a short little path not far off the beaten track.

There, ensconced in a winter wonderland,
He pulled out a letter he had written to me,
And started to read.
(Thinking we were in a rather private place)

I think he was about halfway in,
When a golf cart with workers pulled into a parking space
Right on the other side of the bushes from where we were.

We both froze.
I was so nervous,
And he was frustrated.
Again, poor guy!

After staying silent for a little while,
We tiptoed
(Or whatever it's equivalent on a snowy path is)
A bit down the way,
Found another quiet spot,
And he resumed reading.

I don't remember what Carl said,
But I knew I loved him,
He loved me,
And God had brought our lives together.

So when he finally asked,
"Will you marry me?"
(Down on one knee-of course)
I said, "Yes!"
He slipped a ring on my finger,
And I was giddy with excitement.
We both were.

I don't think we stayed much longer after that.
On our way home we stopped for lunch,
And I gave him my letter.
It was a sweet time of rejoicing,
And we spent much of the rest of the day sharing our joy
With family and friends alike!

To be continued....






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Single Woman's Hope

Our Love Story (Part 3)

The Story Behind Her Eyes