Our Love Story (Part 4)

(If you haven't read the beginning of the story, it starts here: Our Love Story (Part 1)

Distance relationships have interesting dynamics.
Like that one time we didn't see each other for a month and a half,
And I began to wonder if this was real?  
But it was, and is,
And the next time we saw each other was sweeter because of it.

I remember the first time Carl told me he loved me.  
It was the weekend I first met his family,
They're huge.
(9 siblings compared to 3...plus all the kiddos...and they weren't even all there!)
But despite being overwhelmed,
I was also warmly welcomed, 
And driving away, I remember him telling me,
You fit in well.
We were hiking later that weekend,
Before I headed home.
And at the top of a ridge,
Where he had prayed about dating me,
He handed me some Black-eyed Susan's,
And said, "I love you."
Three simple, yet not simple words,
And I couldn't say them back.
Yet.
But he told me I didn't have to,
And just continued to express his love,
Till I could respond in kind.
(over Facetime)
(So romantic, right?!)

Distance also meant, that though we talked on the phone for hours,
We didn't get much of a chance to interact with each other in the day to day of life.
So when we were starting to think seriously about marriage,
My parents suggested I spend some time in Missouri.
So January of this year,
With an artist friend who graciously agreed to tag along,
I was Missouri bound.

How blessed we are!
Not many people have a house that's simply available for two single gals to live in for a month,
But we happen to be a part of a family who made it work.
Carl came for breakfast and dinner most days,
And KJ and I enjoyed our days cooking, cleaning, creating...
And most importantly seeking the face of God.
We wrestled with some hard things that month,
But also found much joy in living life closer together,
And mid-way through the month,
As I sought God's will,
I knew what my answer would be.
I knew he would ask,
And I knew I'd say,
"Yes."
I just didn't know when!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Single Woman's Hope

Our Love Story (Part 3)

The Story Behind Her Eyes