Mama Lessons One

I've been thinking recently that I should try to write some more during this unique and interesting time we find ourselves in.  Not sure what all of that will look like exactly, but I decided today maybe I'd start a series called "Mama Lessons."  

I've found that motherhood often has much to teach me.
Some lessons encouraging, some rather challenging!

Recently I've been thinking some about Psalm 131.
It goes:

"O Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; 
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
O Israel, hope in the LORD
From this time forth and forever."

Children resting against their parents is such a sweet thing.
We've just recently completely weaned Hudson, 
And now when he comes to snuggle close he's not hungry,
He's just wanting to be near.

I looked down at him the other day, and just marveled at how unconcerned for life he is.
(It's not always that way-especially not at mealtimes!!)
But that's kind of the point here.
The Psalmist is saying he has composed and quieted his soul like a WEANED child.
This is not a hungry child,
This is a child who has what they need,
Who is at rest in the arms of their mother.

It made me wonder...
Am I resting in God like that?
Are you?
Not worrying about the things we can't control and understand.
Trusting them to His hand.  
And hoping in Him.
Finding Him to be our comfort and security as little children 
Do with their Mama's.

I want to be friends.  
I know I don't do it perfectly,
But this is my prayer for all of us in the midst of the season of uncertainty we find ourselves in:

That like the Psalmist,
we would work at composing and quieting our souls
Hoping and resting in our great God who rules all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Single Woman's Hope

Our Love Story (Part 3)

The Story Behind Her Eyes