An Overflowing Heart
Today is Easter or Resurrection Day, a day on which we (as those who believe in Jesus as our Lord and Savior) purpose to remember His sacrifice for us on the cross. But not just His sacrifice, not just His pain and death, no we also remember His life. For He IS RISEN! When He died He didn't stay dead, but rose again to give us newness of life . . . to offer us the opportunity to choose Him, and in Him, victory over sin and death. My heart is overflowing today--overflowing with joy! For these are the truths that bring joy . . . and hope, and peace. And I want to remember these truths, not just today, but every day. For they are just as true tomorrow as today, and just as true next month as tomorrow. These are the truths that put a smile on my face, and make me cheerful even when I am at work and it is 7 in the morning. I desperately need to claim them as true in my life, to reckon them, daily. For then I live as I am called to--joyful, peaceful, free, and filled (to overflowing) with hope.
As I've been thinking about Easter I've been reading a little book entitled The Passion of Jesus Christ by John Piper. In it I "discovered" this verse:
"Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed."~1 Corinthians 5:7
And this quote:
"We have been made unleavened in Chirst. So we should now become unleavened in practice. In other words, we should become what we are . . . the suffering of Christ secures our perfection so firmly that it is already now a reality. Therefore, we fight against our sin not simply to become perfect, but because we are. The death of Jesus is the key to battling our imperfections on the firm foundation of our perfection." ~John Piper
Another verse he pairs with this is Colossians 1:22 (for background's sake I'm quoting verse 21 for you too.) "And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, He has now reconciled in His body of flesh by His death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before Him."
Oh, I am ever so thankful that the Lord has made me perfect through His sacrifice and that I do not have to attain perfection in order to save myself! No, instead as the Corinthians verse points out I am to fight for perfection in my life because that is who I am in Christ! And I do not have to fight for it on my own, because my Lord is risen, and He lives in my heart, continually challenging, changing, renewing, and teaching me! Oh glorious truths! I am so thankful my Lord is alive.
As the old hymn goes:
"I serve a risen Savior, He's in the world today;
I know that He is living, whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer,
And just the time I need Him He's always near.
He lives, He lives, Chirst Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart."
~Alfred H. Ackley
Amen! Thank you so much for writing all this down. Such glorious truths for us to preach to ourselves and one another, remember on a daily basis, and practice in our lives in service to our beautiful and risen Savior!
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Elizabeth